At Target Canada Co. (Target), we want you to know how we collect, use, share and protect your personal information.
What Information is Collected?
We limit collection of personal information to the amount reasonably necessary for the purpose or purposes for which it was collected.
Information Collected From You
Target collects personal information, including when you:
- Purchase, order, return, exchange or request information about our products and services
- Create a target.ca account
- Contact Target’s guest services
- Visit our website or use our mobile applications
- Use a social media service, for example, Target's Facebook page or YouTube channel
- Sign up for e-mails, mobile messages, or social media notifications from Target
- Enter a contest or sweepstakes, respond to one of our surveys, or participate in guest research
- Are recorded by in-store cameras
- Provide us with comments, suggestions, or other input
Types of personal information we collect may include:
- Your name
- Your mailing address
- Your e-mail address
- Your phone (or mobile) number
- Your credit/debit card number
- Your purchase/return/exchange information
- Your proof of identity (for example, your signature)
- Your demographic information (for example, your age and occupation)
- Your preferences and shopping habits.
Information Automatically Collected Online
Target allows service providers and third-party companies to collect certain non-personally identifiable information when you visit our websites and to use that information to serve ads for Target products or services or other companies’ products or services when you visit target.ca or other websites. The information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) is used during your visits to Target’s websites and other websites to provide advertisements about products and services that also may be of interest to you. These parties typically use a cookie or a web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioural advertising practice or to manage your choices (for example, opt in or opt out) for this type of advertising, you can visit the Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada (IAB Canada) website .
Information From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources that help us analyze, update, expand our records (for example, updating contact information or adding demographic information) and identify new guests. These companies must follow privacy laws when collecting and sharing the information with Target. Target uses the information to improve our ability to contact you and increase the relevance of our marketing to you.
How is this Personal information Used?
Examples of how we use your personal information include:
Product and Service Fulfillment
- Fulfill and manage purchases, orders, payments, returns/exchanges, or requests for information, or to otherwise serve you
- Administer sweepstakes and contests
- Deliver coupons, mobile coupons, newsletters, regular circulars, e-mails, and mobile messages you have chosen to receive
- Send marketing communications and other information you have chosen to receive regarding products, services and promotions
- Administer promotions
- Improve the effectiveness of our website, stores, mobile experience, and marketing efforts
- Conduct research and analysis, including focus groups and surveys
- Perform other internal business activities as needed, or as described elsewhere in this policy
- To prevent fraudulent transactions, monitor against theft and otherwise protect our guests and our business
- To assist law enforcement and respond to subpoenas, search warrants, or other legal/regulatory orders or inquiries
How is this Information Shared?
The Target Family
When needed in order to perform their services, we may share personal information with companies and affiliates who:
- Provide support services (such as a printing, shipping, e-mail, or mobile marketing),
- Help market our products and services, or
These companies are not authorized to use the personal information that we share with them or that they collect on our behalf for any other purpose. In addition, they are required to appropriately protect the personal information and comply with applicable privacy laws.
Target and the Target family have international offices and service providers. Accordingly, your personal information may be processed or stored outside of Canada, including in the United States, India and other countries. In accordance with the laws of those countries, in certain circumstances your personal information may be accessible by foreign law enforcement, regulatory bodies or other authorities. For more information about our use of foreign service providers, please contact us as described below.
We may disclose personal information you provide to us when we believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law; to enforce or apply applicable terms and conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, health or safety of our company, our guests, our team members or others.
Sharing with Other Companies (for their marketing purposes)
With your consent, we may share your personal information with other companies which are not part of the Target family. These companies may use the personal information we share to provide special offers and opportunities directly to you.
Your personal information may be disclosed or transferred to an affiliate or third party in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, sale, merger, transfer, reorganization or similar transaction involving all or part of Target’s business or assets. The disclosure or transfer would be made so you would continue to receive the same or similar products and services from the affiliate or third party. Target may retain a copy of the personal information involved if it is still necessary for our reasonable business purposes.
What Choices Do You Have?
Target will only collect, use and disclose your personal information with your consent, except where otherwise permitted or required by law. The method of consent will be appropriate for the type of personal information involved and the purposes for which it will be collected, used or shared. If the purpose for obtaining your personal information is not clear from the context or if the personal information is sensitive, express consent is generally required. In other words, you need to agree either verbally, in writing or electronically. In cases where the purpose is obvious, your consent will be implied (for example, processing your credit card in order for you to buy an item).
You have choices about what marketing materials you would like to receive. You must opt in to receiving certain marketing materials (for example, text or phone messages). In other words, we will not send the materials to you without your express consent. Some marketing materials may be sent to you unless you opt out of receiving them (for example, emails where we have an existing business relationship with you).
Information on how you can change your marketing preferences is listed below:
- Postal Mail & Telephone: If you do not wish to receive catalogs, coupons, promotional mail, or promotional phone calls, then contact us to opt out.
- E-mail: You have the ability to unsubscribe from promotional e-mails via the opt out link included in each e-mail or contact us to opt out.
- Mobile: We may distribute mobile coupons and text messages to mobile devices of guests who have requested this information via an opt in request. Text “stop” to opt out of a specific mobile messaging campaign or text "stop all" to opt out of all mobile messaging.
- Sharing with Other Companies (for their marketing purposes): If you do not wish us to share information with other companies (for their marketing purposes), contact us to opt out.
- Cookies: Your web browser’s help function should contain instructions to set your computer to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or to not receive cookies at any time. You can also visit www.aboutads.info to make selections about what online advertisements you choose to receive or not. Note that if you set your computer to not receive cookies at any time, you will still be able to use Target’s websites but certain personalized services cannot be provided to you. Accordingly, you may not be able to take full advantage of all of the features.
- Third Party Cookies: To opt out of third-party cookies, visit the Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada (IAB Canada) website .
How Do You Access and Update Your Personal Information?
In order to keep your personal information accurate and complete, you can access or update your personal information by contacting us and letting us know what personal information you are interested in accessing or updating.
Subject to certain legal exceptions, we will provide you the personal information requested if reasonably available, or will describe the types of personal information we typically collect.
How is Personal Information Protected?
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect your personal information against loss, theft and unauthorized access. These safeguards will be appropriate for the sensitivity of your personal information.
"Phishing" is a scam designed to steal your personal information. If you receive an e-mail that looks like it is from us asking you for your personal information, do not respond. We will never request your password, user name, credit card information or other sensitive personal information through e-mail.
Retention & Deletion
Your personal information is kept only as long as needed to fulfill the reasonable business purposes for which it was collected or for legal compliance. When no longer needed for these purposes, your personal information is either appropriately destroyed or is made anonymous by removing any information that could identify you.
How Do You Contact Target?
5570 Explorer Drive
CANADA L4W 0C5
Our website may offer links to other sites which have their own privacy policies that apply and that you may want to review if you visit those sites. If you visited our website through a link or a banner advertisement on another site, then that site may be collecting information from people who click on the banner or link. See the privacy policies on those sites to see what information is collected and how it is used.
Last Updated: January 27, 2014